mounting 6.5" subwoofer on 6x9 rear deck - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | panoramic-3d.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • mounting 6.5" subwoofer on 6x9 rear deck

mounting 6.5" subwoofer on 6x9 rear deck

Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
mounting 6.5" subwoofer on 6x9 rear deck

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck mounting 6.5" subwoofers on the 6x9 slot?

The have good specs and if I mount two of them, I figure it'd be equivalent to having a 10 or 12 in the trunk since they'll be firing in the cabin. They will also probably be a lot tighter and cleaner.

My question is, would a standard plastic adapter ring work? I've seen a 1/4" MDF adapter on ebay someone is selling for GM vehicles which I'm sure would work. However, i'm worried about the clearance I'd have between the speaker grill and the subwoofer with so much spacer there.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
There is no way that two 6.5 inch free air "subwoofers" are going to equal a 10 or 12 in a proper enclosure in the trunk. Sorry.

A plastic or MDF spacer will be fine.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of the kicker stuff but it would probably get the job done. I was thinking a JL IB sub or a 6w0 or something along those lines (those are all discontinued but you could probably still find them).

You would probably have more success in just getting a jigsaw and cutting your own buildouts for the little subs, that way you know it will fit. Not too hard to do, sort of like making the letter O out of MDF
You would probably want to go with a thinner adapter given that a 6" sub will have a lot of travel.

If they aren't getting the job done just mounted to the rear deck, you might consider making some sort of small enclosure for them

to Gilley's point the output will be nowhere close to that of a 10 or 12 in the trunk, so if that's what you're expecting you will probably be disappointed, but it will definitely sound great. If you got creative and went with some 8s then you could make it pretty impressive.

Not to hate on 6" subs-- one of the most amazing systems I ever heard was a trio of JL 6w0s on a 500/1 (yes a 500/1) in a custom bandpass box in a 300zx. And by custom bandpass I mean one that was engineered, computer modeled, whatever. That was a freakin great system.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah I guess you're right, I dunno what I was thinking. However, I know what to expect from 6.5" woofers.

The only other decent 6.5" subs I could find were some JL 6w3s. Obviously W3s are nice (I had a couple 10w3s) but they aren't meant for free air so those are out. So other than some complete no name brands, Kicker is the only free air 6" sub I can find.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 PM
im sure you will get some nice midbass out of those. i would just use mdf though and cut the brackets yourself to make sure its what you need.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 PM
for the time and effort involved i would just go a single 10. If you dont like a lot of bass then an 8, but 6.5 is pretty small
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xet
im sure you will get some nice midbass out of those. i would just use mdf though and cut the brackets yourself to make sure its what you need.
actually most of the time those IB subs will not give you any midbass at all, they only work well for sub bass. Not like 25hz sub bass, but sub bass nonetheless.
I found out that there's a big difference between a 6.5" sub and an 8" midbass.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 AM
well the freq response is like 25hz - 350hz. That's pretty much a subwoofer in my book. A company like Kicker usually has accurate statements about frequency response and power handling so it seems legit. The only thing is that I won't get like car shaking bass of course, but I think it will be nice and balanced.

I'm somewhat of an audio freak (don't like the word audiophile) and in my experience, you can make an 8" sub that'll bump hard if you drive it hard enough. I've had plenty of speakers that had 6.5" drivers and that were able to pump out a good amount of bass.

Again, I've had a couple 12" subs and more than a few 10" subs so I know what a good subwoofer can do. But I'm just looking for a solution so I can put my golf clubs in my trunk and listen to some good bass at the same time.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Freq response is usually a pretty worthless stat IMO, but you are right, those will give you sub bass, not rly midbass.
If they say fr is down to 25hz, that doesn't necessarily mean anything about what it will do when you put it in an enclosure in a car etc. A fr graph is usually a bit more useful, but you can't take promises from those either. No 6-8" IB sub is going to touch 25hz
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Well all I can do is trust Kicker, I guess. I know there are some standards in the car audio industry and I think Kicker follows them. I think you have to have at least -6dB of rated output at a certain frequency to advertise at it. And yeah, who knows what kind of enclosure that was tested in.

Oh well, I don't care. My current subwoofer takes up too much space and I'm not spending $400 for a 4080, although they are very nice.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots4x
Well all I can do is trust Kicker, I guess. I know there are some standards in the car audio industry and I think Kicker follows them. I think you have to have at least -6dB of rated output at a certain frequency to advertise at it. And yeah, who knows what kind of enclosure that was tested in.

Oh well, I don't care. My current subwoofer takes up too much space and I'm not spending $400 for a 4080, although they are very nice.
Tell us how it goes! I'm thinking of the same thing and am probably going to get it done within the month. I'm thinking COMP8 or CVT65. Is 8 inch going to fit with out any construction?
Any way the rest of the set up is going to be 2 alpine spkrs in the front, 2 in the back side, with a PDX 5 producing the juice.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Im running a pair of these in the rear

They have pretty high x max which somewhat makes up for their small size. They were cheaper then JL or edesign 6-1/2 subs and have comparable displacement. They actually displace more then the 6 x9 versions from the same company. They fit just barely with the stock covering in the trunk. Are they going to pound? Probably not but with a pair they have a fair amount of displacement. Add in cabin gain and it should be enough extension and vol for me. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is acceptable it may take just trying a few things and seeing what works.

Currently I have them running of the stock amp I dont really want to give an impression without running them without stock crappy equalization and some real power.

Im also thinking about a pdx5 to run the whole show but may end up with 2 pdx 4 channels or a 4 channel and 2 channel depending if i want to active in the front or not.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah I will keep this updated. I'm getting my front speakers and 2 channel amp tomorrow first and I'm installing those. I'm going to do the subwoofer install next month because I'm going on a 2 week biz trip so I'll probably get to it first or second week of October. I'm not expecting much, but I prefer more balanced and tight bass so I think I'll be happy enough.

I do think it's possible to put an 8" sub on the deck. You might even be able to make an enclosure that wraps around and attaches to the roof of the trunk so it comes out the top.

I was looking at the rear passenger side speaker slots because if I could mount the subs there it would've been 100% easier to do. Only 1 body panel, easy to route & hide speaker wire, and I'd just need another MDF ring from zenclosures. Unfortunately, the rear has very little depth. And it looks like the panel pretty much goes right up to the speaker.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO

They have pretty high x max which somewhat makes up for their small size. They were cheaper then JL or edesign 6-1/2 subs and have comparable displacement. They actually displace more then the 6 x9 versions from the same company. They fit just barely with the stock covering in the trunk. Are they going to pound? Probably not but with a pair they have a fair amount of displacement. Add in cabin gain and it should be enough extension and vol for me. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is acceptable it may take just trying a few things and seeing what works.

Currently I have them running of the stock amp I dont really want to give an impression without running them without stock crappy equalization and some real power.

Im also thinking about a pdx5 to run the whole show but may end up with 2 pdx 4 channels or a 4 channel and 2 channel depending if i want to active in the front or not.
Cool, so are you using plastic adapters or are you using something custom fabbed? The Kickers are 150Watts RMS so there might be a little more pressure on the mounts compared to yours.

So you are happy with your sub? Did you install 1 or 2? Are you using the stock amp or an external amp?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO

do you have any pics at all? how much did you have to modify to get them to mount?