Historically, there have been questions why we need the JDM AC controller to do a DD conversion from our stock HU's to an aftermarket one.
"Can't I just use my stock AC controller?" or "Why do we need to order another AC controller because it is expensive?" or "How can I retain my Dual Climate control?"
**This how-to pertains to 03-04 models only, but 05-07 models need the JDM AC controller for the same reason** (05-07 models vary slightly when it comes to desoldering and resoldering the DCC button and LED light)
1. This is what the face of the 03-04 stock HU/ACC HVAC unit looks like:
2. This is the back of the HU/ACC IC board. As you can see, the AC controller is deeply integrated with the radio/CD control circuits. There was a picture posted on cardomain.com back in 2004 where the guy actually physically cut the IC board and separated the stock radio controls from the stock AC controller but had to rewire the IC board traces so that he could mount the stock AC controller but put the radio controls part of the IC board down below the ashtray. The end result looked like something out of the Terminator and the guy said it was a complete PITA project.
As you can see, you need the JDM AC controller so that you can mount your aftermarket HU in the DD space. Otherwise, the stock IC board with the radio/CD controls will block your aftermarket HU.
3. How to retain your Dual Climate Control for your AC.
Take this button of your stock AC controller
..by carefully unclipping these clips...
..remove the "dead" DCC button off your JDM ACC and snap the stock DCC button into the now empty "dead" button on your JDM ACC.
4. Next, desolder your stock ACC controller DCC little green button
5. Resolder it onto the JDM ACC in the same position on the IC board.
so it looks like this...
There you go...
I think for the 05-07 DCC retention, you also need to desolder/resolder the LED for the DCC button as well....
I know this is redundent information but these 2 topics are always asked over and over again and I though I would just condense them into one thread.
Admins, sticky this??? hint, hint....
Hope this helps those who are just starting there DD conversion!